Monday, July 10, 2017

WJMC Newseum, Day 2

Okay, so I'm writing this post really late. Reaaaaaallllllyyyyyyy late. One thing I learned about WJMC very quickly, is that the action never stops. My morning started bright and early at 6:45, and even now, over sixteen hours later, I'm still writing this.
Today's lineup was relatively full, and visits ranged from the Newseum, to the monument tour, to listening to more of the fine speakers D.C. has to offer. As the stars settle into night on this seemingly packed day, the lime-green schedule for tomorrow seems twice as long.
While today's attire was relatively casual, as I ended up wearing my Conference T and jeans, tomorrow is purely professional--I already have the outfits laid out. But before room-checks at 11:00, and before I can sleep, I just want to tell you about one of the most amazing parts of today.
The Newseum.
Now if you've never been to the Newseum, here's a little info. This museum is located inside D.C., and boasts a large collection of News history, ranging from Pulitzer Prize winning photographs, to newspapers back to the start of the colonies, and even breaking news stories brought to life.



In some of the exhibits, the emotion was a palpable thing. People were in tears looking at photographs. We stood in stunned silence staring at 9/11 wreckage. I traced my fingertips across the Berlin Wall in regret. It was amazing. I got to spend three hours between six floors and a basement full of history, emotion, art.


And if that sounds like an amazing day to you, it was only the beginning.




No comments:

Post a Comment