Sunday, July 9, 2017

WJMC End of day 1

Look at that! I'm blogging twice in one day! Miracles, I know.

Anyways, the sun has set on my first day at WJMC (though it set some time ago now) and I am eagerly awaiting my first security check so that I may finally go to sleep. It seems that I am already succeeding in my efforts to make friends. While my subdued, wallflower efforts may have seemed awkward and standoffish at first, over hours of constant company I was able to wear my fellow Orange group members down. (To be know henceforth as the Tangerine Dream Team, or TDT for short.)
And as it turns out, the world isn't that big after all.
Today I met Alyssa, *cue music*, a Massachusetts swimmer. With my smooth conversation skills I abruptly interrupted her chat with a fellow correspondent--after acquiring all of the previous details, of course. I began mentioning how I also happen to be a swimmer, and that my old swim coach Nick Rice--Wait, he's your swim coach? Oh my God!

Okay, I'll back track.
From when I was 10 till just before I turned 13, Nick Rice was my swim coach for the North Oakland Waves, or NOW. After that year, Nick moved from Michigan to Massachusetts to coach a new team, HYV. (The Holyoke YMCA Vikings) He coached there for a few years before starting up with a brand new team, later to conjoin with Bluefish.

Alyssa, as it so happens, is on Bluefish.

The incident, I guess, just made the whole place feel a little more homey. The world, which mere hours before seemed so large--280 correspondents from all over the country gathered in one room, and I amongst them, completely stranded--shrunk in an instant.

All in all, I think it is going to be a really great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment